Science Honors/Advanced Placement Criteria
Beginning with BioChem II in grade 10, the department offers honors sections of required courses. Students are directed by their 9th grade teacher into the course best suited to their skill set, as demonstrated by classroom performance and scholarship habits. In placing students for the honors section of either BioChem II or Physics, teachers consider the following criteria:
- Achievement of a minimum grade in the appropriate prerequisite courses as outlined in the curriculum workbook
- Successful completion of additional prerequisites, outlined in the curriculum workbook
- A demonstrated responsibility in completing all work in a timely and thorough manner
- Effective engagement in classroom activities and a demonstrated willingness to commit to the demands of an honors curriculum
Once in the honors section (as well as in AP courses), students are expected to be able to:
- read independently for understanding
- communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing
- appropriately apply mathematic models to accurately solve new and varied problems
- accurately and appropriately synthesize and apply concepts, ideas and theories to new and varied problems on a consistent basis
- spend roughly an amount of time working outside of class equal to that spent in class; lab reports and special projects may add on to this time
Note the following requirement with respect to adding or dropping honors courses:
Students who have been placed in Honors Physics or Honors BioChem II may choose to register for either the Honors or Regular class. Once the school year has begun, students who wish to move from the Honors to the regular class may change their course during the first 10 days of class (drop/add period). After the drop/add period and before the end of the first quarter, students may change from the Honors to the regular course if they have met one or more of the following criteria:
- Their overall grade falls below 80%.
- The change is recommended by their teacher.
- The change is based upon personal circumstances that are supported by our personal counselors.
After the end of the first quarter, no course changes may occur except for those that may be based upon personal circumstances that are supported by our personal counselors.