At The Overlake School, we believe technology is a powerful tool for enhancing our learning and teaching. As a result, an Overlake education integrates the use of technology in numerous aspects of our school program. School-wide adoption of Canvas LMS (Learning Management System) since 2013 is just one example of how technology is enhancing our educational program.
In order to support the increased use of technology, the school launched a student device program in 2015 which requires all students to bring their own device to school. Use of any devices, personal or school-owned, are subject to Overlake's Technology Use Policy. Assistance is available for students receiving financial aid.
Please find more information about the program below, and don't hesitate to reach out at the contact information below with any questions.
The following devices are recommended by Overlake and meet the requirements of our BYOD program:
- MacBook Air or MacBook Pro
- Microsoft Surface Pro or Surface Laptop
We strongly recommend that students run the most up-to-date operating systems. If you are running Windows 10 in S Mode, please review Microsoft's documentation on turning S Mode off. Please ensure students have run all updates prior to the start of school and are administrators on their computer, at least for the first weeks of school to get printers, WiFi, and other software setup. Students are encouraged to use a modern browser like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox, which work best with Canvas and other Overlake services. We also require the use of anti-malware and antivirus protection. We discourage the use of alternate operating such as Linux systems unless the student is very self-sufficient with supporting themselves. Please note that Chromebooks and iPads do not currently meet our device requirements.
If you wish to buy something different from the recommended models, it must meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
- 8GB memory
- 128GB storage space
- 802.11 ac wireless (WiFi 5)
- 6-hour battery life
- Microphone and front-facing camera
Microsoft® Office 365
The Overlake School provides Microsoft® Office 365 to all students, faculty and staff at no cost. As long as students/faculty are at Overlake, each user may install this software on up to five computers - PC or Mac - and ten mobile devices - Apple iOS, Android and Windows Mobile.
The subscription is free as long as you're an active student enrolled in the school.
Downloading Microsoft® Office 365 is easy and access is tied to your Owl-ID. Scroll down for installation guides and a list of included applications.
Depending on your operating system, here’s what Office includes:
- Office on your PC includes Access, Excel, Skype for Business, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word.
- Office on your Mac includes Excel, OneNote Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Other programs such as Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business, Sway, etc. can be downloaded from Microsoft's website and logging in with your Owl-ID.
Office 365 Installation Guide
- Before you start, uninstall previous versions of Microsoft® Office.
- Go to http://portal.office.com.
- Log on using you Owl-ID@overlake.org and password.
- Once in the Office Portal, click the button in the upper right corner of the screen that says "Install Office 2016"
- Office will automatically begin downloading.
- Once the download completes, if you're running Windows, choose Run or Save. On a Mac, open the downloaded file and double-click the icon that reads "Install Office 2016"
- The streaming installation will begin.
- After you have completed the install process, open an Office application, such as Word® , and you will be asked to Sign in to an existing Office 365 Subscription.
- Enter your Overlake email address (Owl-ID@overlake.org) and click Next.
- If you are prompted to choose Microsoft Account or Work/School Account, choose Work/School Account.
- Enter your password and click Sign In. Your Mac may prompt you that "Microsoft Office Setup Assistant would like to access your contacts." Click OK.
- Personalize your copy of Microsoft® Office, select your preferred setting for updates and click Continue.
- A video will display to explain the new features of Microsoft® Office 365. While the video plays, the installation will continue in the background. Do not go offline or restart your computer until the installation is complete.
Troubleshoot your Office installation:
When you’re installing, you may get a "Something went wrong…” error. Or, if you get some other error, see General troubleshooting for installing Office 2013 and Office 365.
After you have Office installed, try creating a few documents. If an Office program looks blurry, displays as all black or all white, the screen flickers, or looks different on different computers, see Office 365 doesn’t look right.
Antivirus and anti-malware software are essential and required in order to protect your device and data from malicious attacks. The Overlake School does not provide antivirus or anti-malware software to students. The following is a list of free packages that are generally considered good products. The Overlake School Technology Department does not recommend or support any of these products specifically nor is this a comprehensive list of options.
Wi-Fi is available in all academic buildings and many outdoor areas on campus. Users can use Wi-Fi compatible devices anywhere service is provided. The Overlake School Campus WiFi network is constantly being expanded and improved to meet changing demands of our faculty/staff and students.
To connect to the “Overlake” campus WiFi, a user must have an Owl-ID username and password. Connecting to the overlake network gives you faster internet access & printing capabilities.
Wireless access is provided to Overlake guests who do not have a Owl-ID. If you don’t have an Owl-ID you can connect to the “Overlake Guest” network with the password Overlake1967 (only limited internet access is available).
Students and employees can install PaperCut to print anywhere on campus after installing only a single printer on any laptop or mobile device. Employees and students will automatically receive invites to PaperCut at their Owl ID email address.