Community Service at John Muir Elementary School
This week provides an opportunity to work with elementary school children and their teachers at John Muir Elementary School, a diverse, Title 1 public school in Kirkland. With a student body that includes children from around the world, the teachers are challenged to work with unique situations. Each Overlake student will spend the week working with one teacher, getting to know the particular students in that room while providing support for the teacher. This experience has often been a powerful one for students, giving them an opportunity to see for themselves the complexities of teaching and working with children of widely varied backgrounds. Overlake students will also keep a journal reflecting on their time in the classrooms, exploring their own reactions to the experience. Students will need to provide their own transportation to the school in Kirkland and lunch.
Students will meet at John Muir Elementary School.
Participants will receive credit for 15 service hours.
Project Week Timeline (2019-20)
- November 9 - Catalog Published
- November 20 - Independent Proposals Due
- November 10-20 - Student Selection Period
- December 20 - Student Placement Published
- January 24 (9:05 – 9:45 am) and March 13 (9-9:30 am) - Project Week Group Meetings
- March 30 - April 3 - Project Week