Dr. Samantha (Chan) Hillyer, '01
Chelsea Mortell Petisme, '03
Steve DuBois, '89
Alan Everitt, '06
Jonathan Nordin, '00
Raheem Parpia, '06
Emily Parzybok, '07
Spencer Smith, '03
The Overlake School Alumni Association Bylaws
Approved February 25, 2016
ARTICLE I: Name
The name of this organization shall be “The Overlake School Alumni Association” (hereafter the “Alumni Association”).
ARTICLE II: Mission
The Alumni Association’s mission is to create lifelong relationships between The Overlake School and its alumni, provide networking opportunities, help maintain The Overlake School’s history, and to support the mission of The Overlake School.
ARTICLE III: Membership
Section 1: Eligibility
Membership of the Alumni Association shall include all persons who have attended The Overlake School, including graduates and non-graduates.
Section 2: Honorary members
Honorary members shall include members approved by a passing motion at any meeting of the Alumni Board.
ARTICLE IV: The Alumni Association Board
Section 1: Membership
- Eligibility All members of The Alumni Association are eligible to be appointed to The Alumni Association Board.
- Size The number of members (hereafter “Board Members”) on the Alumni Association Board shall be determined by the Alumni Association Board.
- New members Members of the Alumni Association may join the Alumni Associated Board by nomination or by volunteering. New Board Members are approved by a majority vote at any meeting of the Alumni Association Board.
- Term All Board Members shall serve a minimum of a one year term and are not restricted to how many consecutive terms they may serve.
- Responsibilities Board Members must attend at least two Alumni Association Board meetings per fiscal year. Attendance by teleconferencing will be made available, and Board Members participating via teleconference will be considering as attending. Members must inform the Office of Alumni Relations or Board President in advance when unable to attend a meeting of the Alumni Association Board.Board Members must attend as many Alumni Association-sponsored events as possible.
- Staff Liaison Regular Overlake staff liaison support members to the Alumni Board shall consist of the Director of Development, Alumni Program Manager and other appointed staff. The Alumni Program Manager shall attend all meetings of the Alumni Association, maintain the calendar, coordinate alumni events, take minutes and coordinate all mailings for the Alumni Association. Staff liaisons are appointed by the Head of School.
Section 2: Voting privileges
All Board Members shall have voting privileges. Staff liaisons do not have voting privileges.
ARTICLE V: Officers
The officers of the Alumni Association shall consist of a President, Vice President, and committee Chairs, elected from the membership of the Alumni Association Board.
Nominations for officers of the Alumni Association will be accepted by the Nominations Committee in the Spring. New officers shall be elected at the last Alumni Association Board meeting of each fiscal year.
Section A: President
The President shall have general and active management of all affairs pertaining to the Association. The President shall be an ex-officio non-voting member of The Overlake School Board of Trustees.
The President may serve up to three consecutive one-year terms. A former President is eligible to hold the position again after leaving the office for one or more years.
Section B: Vice President
The Vice President shall serve in place of the President in the event that the President is unable to attend a meeting. The Vice President shall also attend a Board of Trustees meeting as representative of the Alumni Association Board in the event the President is unable to attend.
ARTICLE VI: Committees
Section 1: Designation
It shall be the responsibility of the Alumni Association Board members, as directed by their President, to designate any committee necessary. It shall also be their duty to approve the appointment of a Chairperson and members of all standing committees of the Association.
Section 2: Standing Committees
Standing committees of the Alumni Association shall at all times consist of the following:
- Networking & Events
The purpose of the Networking & Events Committee shall be to: a) encourage connections between members of the Alumni Association; and b) to organize an annual calendar of events for members of the Alumni Association, aimed at a variety of affinities (sports, the arts, culture, entrepreneurship, non-profits, careers, educational advancement, etc.).
- Membership & Distinguished Alumni Award Nomination
The Membership & Distinguished Alumni Award (DAA) Nominations Committee shall accept and manage nominations for all elected positions in the Alumni Association, recruit new members in the Alumni Association Board, and research and nominate candidates for the Distinguished Alumni Award.
ARTICLE VII: Meetings
Section 1: Scheduling
Meetings of the Alumni Association Board shall be held when deemed necessary by the President and Alumni Program Manager. There must be at least four meetings held by the Alumni Association Board each fiscal year.
Section 2: Fiscal year
The Alumni Association shall use the fiscal year of The Overlake School as its fiscal year.
Section 3: Management
The Alumni Association President shall preside at all meetings of the Alumni Association Board.
Section 4: Quorum
Five Board Members shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of the Alumni Association Board.
ARTICLE VIII: Bylaws Revision
Section 1: Bylaws can only be changed by the majority present at the Alumni Association Board Meeting. All changes to the Bylaws will be distributed 30 days prior to a vote. Votes can be cast via telephone or in person at the Alumni Board meeting.
Revised – February 25, 2016
Reviewed – March 22, 2016
Approved – May 10, 2016