Solar Powered Tesla: Can Elon Musk Save the World? He can with your help!
Elon Musk is on a mission to save the world from the negative impacts of Climate Change. His vision of using electric cars powered by solar panels cannot be achieved without your help. Why worry about our future when you can do something about it! You will experience what it takes to reduce your energy carbon footprint to zero, while not giving up on modern conveniences. On this Project Week you will:
- Design a PV (solar panel) system for you home.
- Tour Puget Sound Energy's Wild Horse Wind and Solar electricity generation facility in Ellensburg.
- Spend the night at a mountain cabin and experience living off the electrical grid.
- Install solar panels for an off-grid system.
- Tour and learn how to design/build a net-positive energy home that creates all the energy it uses from the solar panels on the roof with enough energy left over to power two electric cars.
- Use Google Earth to do a cost-benefit analysis of putting solar panels on all of Overlake's buildings.
- Learn how to save the planet and save money at the same time.
- Visit Tesla, Nissan and other dealerships to check out a variety of electric cars.
Project Week Timeline
- Dec 15 - Student Placement Published
- Feb 13 & Mar 15 (9-9:30AM) - Project Week Group Meetings with Students
- Mar 26-30 - Project Week