Gloria Califf, Transportation Coordinator
email | 425-868-6191 x477
Download the 2012-13 Bus Route Overview
If you are a current Overlake parent, please refer to the Transportation Site on OwlNet for up-to-date transportation and registration info.
The Overlake School Transportation Initiative has two chief goals:
- Serve the Overlake Community
- Reduce the overall amount of traffic to and from Overlake
Under this initiative, shuttle/bus use at The Overlake School has increased from approximately 5% of all trips in 2005-06, to 7% of all trips in 2006-07, to approximately 13-14% of all trips in 2007-08. This school year 25% of our students are using our bus service for transportation to and from school. We are working to continue this positive trend into the 2012-13 school year.
Using Overlake’s home-to-school bus transportation:
- Provides the safest way to transport your student to school in a motor vehicle. See note 1.
- Supports our Overlake goal of contributing to a live-able and green community around the school with less environmental impact.
- Saves the average household approximately 5190 miles in vehicle wear annually. See note 2.
- Saves the average household approximately $500.00 per year in fuel costs. See note 3.
- Saves the average parent about 346 hours of driving time annually. See note 4.
- Saves each household about a gallon of gasoline per day. See note 5.
- Eliminates approximately 100 vehicles traveling the up and down the school driveway daily.
- Using Overlake’s home-to-school transportation service contributes to the financial feasibility of continuing the service.
- Eliminates the frustration of being delayed in traffic congestion, and helps relieve traffic congestion on Avondale Rd. and Novelty Hill Rd.
- Riding the school bus facilitates social adjustment and friendliness among students. See note 6.
- See online article: http://parenting.kaboose.com/education-and-learning/school-life/school-bus-safety.html
- Based on driving the 7.5 miles distance from Overlake (and back home) twice per day.
- Based on 7.5 miles distance from Overlake and $2.85 per gallon fuel costs.
- Based on a 30 minute drive to and 30 minute from school, twice per day.
- Based on an average of 7.5 miles distance from The Overlake School.
- OK, I’m stretching it a bit here. But most students enjoy the interaction time.